Location and time
Calkins Science Center
226 Bostwick NE
Other articles by the same author
- In Season: November 21, 2015 updated
On Thursday, May 15 from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the GRCC Calkins Science building Empower Michigan will present a community forum follow up discussion titled "The Future of the Michigan Workforce." The event is part of an ongoing series that will evaluate and compile data into a report.
Topics that will be discussed include types of jobs that will be available in the future, a focus on helping millennials to gain employment, how technology affects the local economy, equipping businesses with the tools to spark neighborhood revitalization, educating youth for the 21st century economy, diversity and the state of manufacturing in West Michigan.
"This community conversation is vital because in order for Grand Rapids to become the world class city it aspires to be we must educate ourselves & our children about the opportunities in our region, including how & where people will be able to make a living moving forward," says Jonathan Jelks, co-founder of Empower Michigan. "As we transition from being a mid-sized, rust belt, city once dependent on furniture manufacturing, into a global hub for Health Science & technology, it is imperative that we are intentional about making sure citizens are properly prepared to take advantage of the workforce of the future."
- Darel Ross LINC Community Revitalization INC.
- Felip Ballesteros Communications Director GR Current (Tech & Life Science Start Up Advocacy)
- Allie Bush (GR Chamber of Commerce Public Policy Coordinator)
- Jamiel Robinson (Grand Rapids Area Black Businesses)
- Megan Sall (Right Place GR Business Development Manager)
- Paul Isley (Chairman of the Economics Department GVSU & Economic Forecaster)
The event is sponsored by GRCC's Woodrick Diversity Learning Center & LINC Community Revitalization INC.
Eric Tank lives with his lovely wife and daughter in the East Hills area. He is a photography enthusiast and supports local art, food, and entertainment.